[SlimDevices: Beginners] Couple of Design Questions

Julf Julf.7o3p4n at no-mx.forums.slimdevices.com
Mon Oct 24 15:51:26 UTC 2016

NetworkGuy wrote:
> Cabling / Connectivity - something that allows me to use my Onkyo
> receiver.

OK, so it involves more than just cabling. As  tcutting wrote, there are
two parts to the connection. The LMS server (that stores and manages the
music) on one end of the connection, and a player/receiver at the other
end that actually receives the music stream and converts it to something
your Onkyo can play (unless the Onkyo has some sort of network player
functionality built in). So you either need one of the squeezebox
devices, or something like a Raspberry Pi running player software. The
best way to connect the two is a wired ethernet connection.

> Using what on the tablet / smartphone?

Any web browser will do, but on a smartphone there are a bunch of
different clients (depending on your phone OS) that are better tailored
for the smartphone UI.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953