[SlimDevices: Beginners] Squeezebox Duet or Boom?

justpete justpete.3qbys01239204602 at no-mx.forums.slimdevices.com
Wed Apr 8 08:27:43 PDT 2009

RonM;413640 Wrote:
> I'm pretty sure "compatible with iTunes" means iTunes library structure
> and file types (aside from DRM issues).  The SB products all work with
> SqueezeCenter, which streams the music to your receiver (via SB) or
> Boom or whatever.  SC is installed on your computer (e.g. your laptop)
> and runs seamlessly and invisibly.
>
> But I don't think you can use iTunes itself to select and play tracks
> to the SB products.
>
> iTunes is a player, as is SC;  iTunes plays through the computer audio
> hardware;  SC plays through the SB hardware.  The latter is a much
> better choice for quality audio.
>
> Of course, I've been grievously wrong before, and am not an iTunes
> user.
>
> R.

Yes, I think you're right regarding the "iTunes compatibility" claim.
Maybe it wasn't just my imagination.   However, I did some
investigating the other day, and it seems it is possible to have the
Slimdevices play right from iTunes.. you just have to jump through a
few hoops.  Not sure if it's worth the effort or price of the
additional software, as yet, but I'll mess around with it and see how
it goes, once I get the Squeezebox!

I would prefer to not have to use one type of software to listen to my
squeezebox and another to listen to it on my laptop.. that's just how I
am. :)

--
justpete